Since my only school experience has been in the States, I find the German system a learning experience. I don't have many friends with older kids here, so not a big audience to poll with questions. We have been really lucky with Rita's school & it was dumb luck. They were the only school out of over 10 schools I contacted that would take her with no German language skills. We were told that while it is nice to go to a school with a nice reputation, good funding, etc it was far more important to have a teacher you connect with & like. Your child will have the same teacher from Grade 1 - Grade 4. And the same kids each year. So I guess another thing to look for in a teacher is good people management skills. We are so pleased with Rita's teacher & Rita loves her.
Another odd thing (to me) about the schools is they have a Frühstückpause, which translates to breakfast break. Kids here don't eat breakfast at home, they wait for school. Now my kids are early risers & early eaters so I thought I could get away without packing anything. But once they saw all of their friends eating something they wanted in on it too. Ugh, says the lazy mom. And some are elaborate - fruit, cheese, meat, some type of bread if not two types, yogurt, etc. I was giving Rita a granola bar! She now takes what we have & if she wants more she stops at the bakery on the way to school to pick up something - a pretzel, croissant, etc.
Why do I not want to pack them breakfast? Because both kids eat lunch at school so I thought I was in the clear of having snack type food in the house to pack. We pay approximately 50€ a month for each child to eat lunch at school. It is the only option. No lunches from home. Have a picky eater? Sorry. Have food allergies? I have no idea because I haven't met a single person who has known anyone here with a food allergy. It was rough in the beginning for both kids. They would come home starving because they didn't like the lunch that was offered. But I am happy to report that they are both better eaters now - fish, a variety of potatoes (I know, who doesn't like potatoes? My kids!), pasta with different sauces, vegetables, traditional German fare & a few European foods.
The one thing I really like about the meals at both schools is no beverages from home. You have the option of water, strawberry tea or milk at Hugh's Kita. And Rita has water. With bubbles. And she isn't happy...
But she is in the photo:
But she is in the photo:
Rita came home with this 8x10 laminated photo from school one day. I asked her what it was for & she told me her teacher took them of everyone. So we think it is her school photo. Singular. Just one...
No comments:
Post a Comment