Friday, September 2, 2011

Signs of Fall

Since this is our first fall in Germany I am not sure I will recognize all the signs of fall.  But like clockwork the temperatures dropped significantly on September 1.  Not that the summer was all that warm (cool & rainy is how most people would describe it) but it seemed a bit early to see people wearing winter jackets.  I even saw gloves!  Germans wear scarves all year so you can't base the temperature on scarf sightings!  
 
We were shopping at a department store when Rita shrieked that she found a dress she loved.  I turned & saw all the traditional Oktoberfest outfits for sale.  I am not sure why this surprised me but I found it funny enough to take a few photos.  I should have snapped the price because I can't remember but I know I was shocked at how expensive they were.  Enjoy!
Ready for Oktoberfest?

More dresses & a picture of those silly cake necklaces...
 Fall is also a time to drink Federwisser.  This is a light, sweet white wine.  Lower in alcohol but carbonated, it is very refreshing.  It is still fermenting when you buy it so there is no cork, just the metal seal.  It must be refrigerated & stored upright.  Although there is no real reason to store this, it will be gone before you know it!  Traditionally this is served with Flammkuchen, which means Flame Cake.  This is a yummy flat bread with bacon, onion & creme fresh.  This will also be gobbled up quickly so don't leave the room...

How can such a simple looking bottle be so darn tasty???

Flammkuchen by Todd

Heaven.  So delicious!

2 comments:

  1. That looks beyond yummy!! What kind of cream is on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss creme fraiche! i still haven't found it in midland. the flammkuchen looks lecker! :)

    ReplyDelete