Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Week in Provence




For Rita's fall break we spent a week in Provence.  Todd & I visited the same area in 2002 when I was pregnant with Rita.  We stayed in a 2-bedroom farmhouse in the small town of Joucas.  It was fabulous.  I love everything about this area - the hilltop villages, the food, the markets, the beautiful scenery, the language & the close proximity of other towns.  This was a very relaxing vacation.  We went to a different market each morning, did some hiking, had picnics, played at parks, walked the villages, had some excellent meals, played cards & board games.

We went to markets in the following villages - Coustellet, Bonnieux, Roussillon, St Saturnin, Cadenet, Gordes, Sault & Lourmarin.  Because it is later in the season some of the markets were very small.  The one in Lourmarin on Friday was probably the best for selection of everything - clothes, food, home goods, etc.  The Sunday market in Coustellet is equally excellent.  The kids enjoyed walking around the markets seeing what everyone was selling.  Some of our purchases included - chocolate croissants, fresh goat cheese, baguettes, jam, melons, tomatoes, roasted chicken, roasted rabbit, a scarf for me, pottery, soap (gifts for Rita's friends), cookies, more cheese, more bread, & more croissants.  The food is outstanding!


We also did some hiking with the kids.  We took them to the Colorado Provencal & the Ochre Footpath.  The scenery was amazing & the kids were actually good hikers.  They loved all the different shades of ochre & playing in the sand.


Due to the food frenzy at the markets we only ended up eating out twice.  Once we were rained out in St Saturnin so we took cover in the only restaurant we could find that was open.  We ordered the kids a cheese pizza that was so beautiful.  Big rings of goat cheese, slices of Camembert, blue cheese and Parmesan.  Tasty.  Of course a pizza like this in the States would be over $25 because of all the high end cheese.  I think it was around $12.  Todd & I ordered the daily special - Roasted Duck with potatoes.  Rita kept eyeing my duck so I gave her a taste.  She loved it so we switched meals.  The other meal was in Bonnieux.  Todd & I ate there in 2002 & still remember how delicious the pizzas were.  Todd walked us straight to the restaurant & we were just as happy.  Fabulous!


Rita is now interested in learning French & had expanded her food pyramid to include duck & rabbit.  We can't wait to go back!


This is how Hugh arrived at the farmhouse
Take home from the Sunday market
I know this looks like a State park in Michigan - really it was the parking lot at the Colorado Provencal
Hiking

Todd & Hugh at the look out

Rita & Hugh on a rock pile.  I don't get it either.
Look at me!

Rita at The Ochre Footpath

Roussillon

Even the trash cans were adorable.

How many pairs of shoes does it take to go to France?

Happy Hugo
Rita with her rabbit - yummy!

This spinny thing was hilarious!  The kids loved it.

Wheeeee!

The best snack food I have ever had.  We were all addicted.

Gordes

The beautiful cheese pizza. 

Hugh & Rita on Pont Julien - a Roman bridge built over 2000 years ago

At the top of Mont Ventoux
Beautiful walkway
 

Who's your Sugar Daddy?  Love European grocery stores!

Ewwww

No comments:

Post a Comment