Whenever we rent a car I feel the pressure to do something all weekend long. Even if it is raining. So on this particularly rainy day we headed to Zons - a 21-minute drive from our apartment but across the river so we felt like we were going somewhere. Zons is a darling walled village. I feel bad I didn't know about it before - our visitors missed out.
This is what I got from Wikipedia:
A local legend tells of the robbery of fifty pigs of the town by troops of Archbishop of Cologne. Eventually, the archbishop recompensed the inhabitants of Zons, so that the town claimed victory in the "Schweinefehde". A fountain in Zons commemorates the event
The walls are still standing, there is a windmill that if you go at the right time you can go into (we did not) & what looked like a lovely outdoor theatre. There is a walking path around the walls. The entire thing looked like a movie set. We ate lunch at a great Greek place & of course ended the day with ice cream.
Can't wait to go back in better weather!
No comments:
Post a Comment