Sunday, July 3, 2011

Equatorial Guinea?

Germany is host to the FIFA Women's World Cup this year.  As you know, my husband loves soccer & Rita is very interested too.  Since we had the car & this venue was less than an hour away we decided to go to a match.  Australia vs. Equatorial Guinea (I had to look this up -- located in west central Africa & the third smallest country in continental Africa.  And despite its name, no part of the country's territory lies on the equator.  Now put that information to good use!).  We bought tickets when we arrived & despite being the second from the last row they were great.  We were at one of the ends so when the ball was on our side of the field we could see everything.  Hugh has never been to a sporting event before, unless you count Rita's games, & did great.  Rita was very interested in all the action.  We saw 2 goals in the first 13 minutes!  Don't quote me but I think the final score was 4 - 2.  We also saw an injury that ended up with the player being taken off the field on a stretcher. Todd got a beer at the half & they require a deposit for your glass.  This made the stadium so clean & really is just a fantastic idea.  The other thing we noticed was that there was a Theater type venue right next to the stadium.  And they were showing Starlight Express!  In fact, we are pretty sure it was the only thing that is ever showing since it was the Starlight Express Theater.  We cracked up trying to explain to Rita how this was such a disaster in the US compared to other Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals.  And guess what?  I just googled this & Starlight Express is the most popular musical shown in Germany!  See you learn something every day!  I will post again when Rita convinces us to take her to see it...


Rita & Hugh fighting to stand in front of the sign.

Equatorial Guinea flag
Referees & the Australian team entering the field

Hugh with a pretzel as big as his head - which is huge!
I was shocked that all the referees were women.
Injury on the field
Action shot with zoom lens
Goal!

Me & Hugh

Rita Lou dreaming of playing professional soccer...

Seriously????
Oh look!  A train with all the roller skate people painted on it!  Creepy...

The kids both wore new skips to the match.  Courtesy of Target in Michigan.







1 comment:

  1. Before I completed reading your whole post I googled Starlight Express and read about it being the favorite in Germany! What's with Hughs hair??? Crazy! Excellent pics - I am saving for a new camera. You are looking good!

    ReplyDelete