Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Year In Dusseldorf

One year in Germany
This year has had many ups & downs.  I can't really decide if it went by quickly or slowly -- probably both depending upon the day!  The Germans are really interesting people.  Not good or bad.  I am sure I felt the same way when we lived in London, I just didn't have a blog so I didn't spend much time reflecting on things.  So here are some more of my thoughts on living here:

The Apartment
When I told people we would be renting an apartment in Germany most followed up with "But just until you know where you want to buy a house, right?".  I know it is the American dream but we have bought two houses & sold them for less than we paid.  And the house in Midland was completely updated while we lived there.  So the American dream of owning a home is a more like a nightmare for us.  I think we will buy again but Todd would swear we won't.  I have to admit I do like living in an apartment.  Not this particular apartment (too boxy, on a busy street, 3rd floor - lots of steps) but what goes with apartment living.  Here are the benefits as I see them - less space = less stuff (we had a killer garage sale before we moved), no yard work, minimal maintenance, no trash/recycling day -- the containers are in the building, a tram stop right outside our door & no need to buy things for the apartment.  In Midland I felt like I was always buying things to fill up the rooms or holiday decorations.  Or lawn furniture.  


Todd
Todd loves living here.  This is his only comment...

Me
I really like living in a city again.  It can be a bit of a challenge with the kids but most things we do now are within a 20 minute walk from the apartment.  We are also in an excellent location for multiple trams to get us to farther places.  Last summer was really hard.  Not really the being in a new place bit but finding stuff for the kids to do.  Most kids age three & up go to school full-time.  So we would be at the park with kids in diapers -- not much fun for my kids.  Also, a lot of German websites aren't full of much information.  I was lucky to find an online Toddler group that was an excellent way of meeting people & getting information.  But once school kicked in things started to fall into place.  Rita took ballet with a friend from school.  We take the kids swimming on a fairly regular basis.  I go to the International library & get books & DVDs in English.  We travel during the school holidays (England, France, Spain, USA, Holland & Belgium twice).  The major difference between our life in Michigan & here is the availability of extra curricular activities for kids.  Rita & Hugh are both still too young to play soccer - isn't that insane?  Maybe next year I will have this all figured out.

Rita 
Rita has probably changed the most this year.  She has always been independent but now has the opportunity to actually put this fabulous skill to use.  She walks herself to & from school, often stops at the bakery on her way to buy a snack, has her own keys to the apartment, is fluent in German, understands the metric system, is not shy about asking for help when we are out, loves to travel, knows her way around the city, is doing great in school, has made some great friends & can't wait to learn French. She also seems very mature for her age (to me).  Still loves reading, playing Legos & Play Mobil, & hanging out with her friends. 

Hugh
From my point of view, this move has been hardest on Hugh.  It took four months to get him into a Kita & even then it was only in the mornings.  Then we found a closer school that had a full-time opening so we moved him four months later.  Because I don't speak the language very well we haven't been able to do play dates very often & I feel he is suffering from not having his own friends.  Hopefully that will change next year.  We are moving him again to a school that is still closer to the apartment so I hope to meet some neighborhood boys to hang out with.  Hugh is quickly learning German & also has a pretty good sense of direction.  He likes going on trips but would prefer to kick a ball in the park.  His behavior has been a challenge this year, making parenting very difficult some days.  Although, with all the changes with school he does deserve the "Go With The Flow" award. 

Here's to another year! 
Hugh, Todd, me & Rita
Todd & I celebrated at Gallo Nero -- a great neighborhood Italian restaurant

3 comments:

  1. Again, only sort of like your year in Dusseldorf (let's be honest -- total dislike!) but I LOVE this blog post and all the other recent ones. So impressed with your blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A year already! I agree with the apartment living! I think it would be great. Are you going to look for a place that you like better? Don't worry about Hugh, he'll make friends at school. It sounds like Rita is ready for her own apartment :-) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete