If there is one quaint & lovely small village I would recommend to people to visit, it is Bruges, Belgium. It is very touristy, so only make plans in the off season or leave Bruges during the day & hang out at night. It is a big destination but many people just visit for the day. I have been there a few times in 2002 & we think this was the sixth time for Todd -- the man loves his beer!
 |
| beautiful Bruge |
We went with some friends from Dusseldorf - Kris (my now regular travel friend), Martin & Simon. Kris found us a great apartment -- three floors, three bedrooms, 3 bathrooms & the best part? A garden! Neither of us live on the ground floor of our apartments so it was a treat to walk out the kitchen door & be able to relax in the garden. We abandoned our perfect "travel family" in Michigan, so I was a little nervous to travel with another family we don't know very well. Guess what? It was great. The kids keep themselves entertained, the grown ups can go out at night & it is always fun to see new things with new people.
The weather was a bit dismal the first two days but we still managed to find great food & of course beer. Todd was our Beer Guide & I was happy to find my new favorite, Tripel Karmeliet, available everywhere. We made a dinner reservation at 't Nieuw Museum for Saturday night. Todd & I ate here in 2002 & have fond memories. The food is all cooked on an open fire for all the guests to see. The boys were pleased with the beer selection & we even got seated with a bachelor party. A fun night!
 |
| My first beer |
|
|
|
|
 |
| My second beer in a fancy holder |
|
As the weather got better we were out a bit more - we checked out some windmills, walked along the canals, went on a canal tour, bought some decadent chocolate & had more great meals.
 |
| Kris, Simon & Martin on the canal cruise |
 |
| Flemish Stew - tasted just as good as it looks |
 |
| I could eat a goat cheese salad every single day |
We spent our last day having lunch on the coast in the seaside village, Knokke-Heist. I had to get one more goat cheese salad! It was nice to be on the water & stick our toes in the freezing Atlantic but it was also very strange. I no longer felt like I was in Belgium. I could have been in Florida - large apartment/condo buildings, lots of cheap junk shops, restaurant after restaurant that all look the same... I am sure it can be nice but we only walked down the main strip & I wasn't that impressed. Maybe it needed to be warmer so the kids could actually swim in the water. I am almost positive this isn't our last trip to Belgium so we can try again.
For more pictures from the trip click
BEER
No comments:
Post a Comment